Advantages of Pulse code modulation (PCM)
- PCM is much better against noise and interference
- PCM will provide secure data transmission
- PCM had a uniform transmission quality
- PCM offers an efficient regeneration
- It is easy to add or drop channels at PCM
- PCM had a higher transmitter efficiency
- PCM is easily multiplexed
- Less expensive
- PCM is an integrated digital circuit
- Efficient codes are readily available for PCM
- PCM signal may be stored and time-scaled efficiently
- PCM is been used for long-distance communication
- PCM will increase the utilization of the executing circuit
- Due to its digital nature, we can easily store PCM signals
- We can use different kinds of coding techniques with your preference so that a particular person can decode that specific signal code.
main advantages of Pulse code modulation (PCM)
Better performance against noise and interference
Pulsed code modulation (PCM) is working as directly converting analog signal to pulsed digital signal.
The noise and interference of a signal will not be affected on the PCM, this is because they are digitalized modulation signals.
Secure data transmission
The pulse code modulation is more secure than any modulation technique, at the time of transmission the signal we modulated will be fully digitalized, so decoding of that data is not an easy process.
Uniform transmission quality
The pulse code modulation signal had a uniformity, this is why transmission quality is high at PCM.
Easy to drop or add channels
At pulsed code modulation, we can use multiple channels at a time, so the adding and dropping of a channel is an easy process to do.
Higher transmitter efficiency
The PCM had higher transmitter efficiency, signal loss due to transmission is almost zero at PCM because digitalized pulsed code signal is more robust than other signals.
This is the reason why pulsed code modulation (PCM) had higher transmitter efficiency.
Different coding techniques
At the pulsed code modulation (PCM), we can use different coding techniques to make proper encryption, we can use any code to encode the PCM.
Disadvantages of pulse code modulation (PCM)
- Larger bandwidth is required for transmission
- Noise and crosstalk leaves low but rises attenuation
- An IDN (integrated digital network) can only be a gradual extension of noise.
- The difference between the original analog signal and the translated digital signal is called quantizing error.
- Encoding, decoding, and also have quantizing circuit of PCM is very complex.
Explain the main disadvantages of PCM
Larger bandwidth is required
A larger bandwidth is required at the conversion process, which is when an analog signal is converted to a pulse code modulated signal, we need a larger bandwidth signal for a proper operation.
The quantization error is the difference between analog and the digital value at an instant, these differences in signal cause quantization losses and quantization noise.
Complex encoding and decoding process
The encoding and decoding of the process at pulse code modulation (PCM) are very complex, this is because the pulsed digitalized signal is always complex due to its encryption.