Back to back diode
In this article, we are going to explain a different circuit using a PN junction diode, which is back to back diode. We know diode is a single junction and unidirectional device.
What will happen if we connect two diodes in back to back way, in this post we explain the back-to-back diode circuit and also its applications in modern electronics?
Back to back diode symbol
When connecting the diode back to back, it is also called anti-parallel configuration at integrated circuits.
Back to back diode operation
The connection of two diodes in the back-to-back form will make a reverse-biased device, the current flow in this circuit is very difficult.
Back to back diode protection
- The back-to-back diode network main used in the integrated circuit to protect the internal circuits.
- And also the back-to-back integrated circuit on between the grounds of analog and digital parts of the circuit, which is needed to separate to decrease the digital switching noise.
- And the back-to-back diode will be used when the input voltage range exceeds the power supply.
- At the amplifier circuit, we use the back-to-back diode the protect the device from electrostatic discharge or ESD.
- And at integrated circuits, a sudden strike of voltage that happened at the circuit will be easily handled by back to back diode.
- In that situation the back-to-back diode acts as a very low resistance path for voltages, the top diode conducts the current and protects the integrated circuit from high current.
- At the CMOS technology, the ESD protection back-to-back diode network will be used internally.