In this article, we are going to explain to you an energy consumption phenomenon called phantom loading, which is a simple aspect that happened in our daily life.
The phantom loading of power will happen at our electronic gadgets, which is when we leave the electronic appliances at standby condition, it will consume the power at that condition itself, this is the reason why phantom loading is also called vampire power or ghost load.
What is phantom loading?
The phantom loading is called the energy consumption that happened at the electronic gadgets on the off state.
Phantom loading in energy meter
In the energy meter, phantom loading is used to determine the current rating ability of the energy meter.
- In the normal case, the loading arrangement will be a waste of a lot of power, but the phantom load consumes very little power.
- Due to these reasons, phantom loading will be used to test the meters.
Phantom loading in wattmeter
At the wattmeter, the phantom loading works by the pressure coil and the current coil will be separately excited by the source supply.
- That is the pressure coil will be energized by a small supply voltage and the current energizes the current coil at a lower potential difference.
- This is done by both the coils have a low impedance path.
Phantom loading and direct loading
- The wattmeter is directly connected to the load is known ad direct load, in other words, the pressure coil is connected across the source and current coil in series with the load.
- The direct loading method at the meter to the circuit leads to wastage of amount of energy when the current ratio of the energy meter is high.
- But at the phantom loading, the pressure coil will be connected to the normal supply voltage and the current coil circuit is connected to the lower voltage supply.